Most of us tend to gain weight during the holiday season because we over-indulge. It’s hard not too! Pumpkin pie, mashed potatoes, turkey, cookies, chocolates, cakes, cocktails and much more. We splurge from Thanksgiving dinner all the way through the New Year! No wonder we don’t have much energy, feel bloated, and gain weight.
It’s ok to splurge in moderation. Deprivation will only lead to overeating or binge eating. We need to find a happy balance so that we stay healthy and don’t allow ourselves to get completely out of control during the holiday season.
Here are my top tips for how to survive the holidays while still allowing yourself to indulge:
1) Plan Ahead: Never show up hungry to a holiday party and bring a healthy dish if possible! If drinking alcohol, stick to one glass of wine or one spirit and mixer (such as vodka and soda).
2) Be Choosy: You don’t have to say no to everything, but at the same time, don’t say yes to everything! Be choosy about what you indulge in. Practice the 80/20 rule where you eat clean 80% of the time and allow yourself to indulge 20% of the time.
3) Mindful Eating: When you do indulge, slow down and savor each bite. Fully taste the flavors and enjoy your food.
4) Reset Yourself: By eating clean 80% of the time, you will have more energy, won’t feel bloated, and shouldn’t gain weight. Make sure to stay hydrated and continue your exercise routine.
5) De-stress: If you ever find yourself wanting to pull your hair out from all of the stress of the holiday season, take a deep breath (or many deep breaths!!). Take a step back. Take a few more deep breaths! Then treat yourself to a nice bubble bath or an Epsom salt bath.
Do you want more Holiday Survival Tips?
Check out my Holiday Survival Guide for only $12.99!
You get all of the following:
My 26-page guide loaded with tips for keeping your sanity (and current dress size) during the holidays.
Strategies that teach you when and how to say “No, thank you” to food
AND how to say “Yes, please” and actually enjoy your indulgence, guilt-free
Access to a Private Facebook Group for support from myself and other people who are also trying to stay healthy this holiday season
PLUS you get My 4-Day Post-Holiday Healthy Reset Plan which includes:
12 delicious, easy to prepare recipes to get your body feeling great after a night (or few) of celebrating
A detailed shopping list to save you tons of time at the store
A 4-day suggested meal guide for breakfast, lunch, and dinner to guide you through the reset with ease
My Daily Holiday Survival Checklist to print out and post on the fridge or in the office so you can stay on track with healthy habits
A Food and Self-Love Journal to help keep you centered and joyful during your celebrations!
Staying healthy while still allowing yourself to splurge during the holiday season is possible!
Learn more here!
Disclaimer: This blog is not intended to diagnose, treat, prevent or cure any illness or disease.
The information provided in this blog is for general educational purposes, has not been reviewed nor approved by the FDA and is not intended to take the place of advice from your medical professional, licensed dietitian or nutritionist.
You are solely responsible for your health care and activity choices. Participation in this blog does not constitute a client-coach relationship.